To conduct a patents landscape to identify techniques to join dis-similar metals without using a filler material. The case in point was to identify techniques to join aluminium with other metals and metal oxides without using any filler materials in the joint.
A US based welding equipments manufacturer
What Stellarix did
- A scientific literature search was carried out to understand the joining strength of aluminium with various metals and their alloys. Some metals were identified that formed strong bonds with aluminium.
- A study was done to understand various welding techniques in addition to mechanical joining techniques that could be used to join dissimilar metals.
- Based on our understanding from the above studies, a patents search was carried out on Thomson Innovation database consisting of keywords, class codes and top assignee searches.
- All patents hits were analyzed to shortlist the patents relevant to technology domain.
- All shortlisted patents were further analyzed in greater detail to capture information like the names of the metals that are being joined, the welding techniques being used, any coatings that are applied to the metal surface and any other process parameters.
- All the relevant patents were categorized as per the taxonomy which was developed in consultation with the client.
- Insights were presented about the entire patents set related to the disclosed information in the patents.
- Recommendations were provided to the client related to the best metals and alloys with which aluminium can be joined to give strong bonds and the best welding techniques to be used in each specific case.
- A further study was conducted to benchmark the client’s capabilities with each type of welding methodology shortlisted against those of the client’s top competitors.
How the client used the study
The client was able to understand the best welding techniques to be used with specific metals and alloys. They were also able to get an idea of how strong their patents position is w.r.t. their major competitors in the area of some specific welding types.